Feb 9, 2018
Welcome to AskALLi, the
self-publishing advice podcast from the Alliance of Independent
Authors. This week it's our monthly beginners' self-publishing
salon with advice, tips, and tools for indie authors just starting
This month, we introduce our
new hosts. Jyotsna Ramachandran is the founder
of Happy Self
Publishing and author of the international
Iain Rob Wright has
written over a dozen novels. He’s an active member of the
Horror Writers Association and has also written a free
self-publishing course for authors.
This Month's Beginners' Self-Publishing Salon
No matter how you like to consume your content, we have you
covered. You can listen to the podcast recording, watch the YouTube
broadcast, or read the full transcript of this Salon episode
Topics discussed this week include:
- Introducing Iain and Jyotsna
- Seven years ago, Iain decided to be a writer because he wasn't
happy with his sales job, discovered self-publishing and never
- Jyotsna quit her full-time job six years ago, tried out
different businesses. Discovered Amazon self-publishing and
began making money on royalties. Then she found fulfillment in
writing her own books
- Visibility is more difficult now than it was six years ago. The
space is more crowded.
- Self-publishing is like any other business. Build it from the
- Don't depend on Amazon for visibility. Get onto podcasts, find
places to speak about your book.
- Self-publishing is a great way to work from home.
- Tools for formatting books. Microsoft Word? Vellum? Depends on
your needs and budget.
- Give proper instructions to freelance formatters.
- CreateSpace vs. KDP